Date and place of birth: 3 September 1993, in Wiener Neustadt (Austria).
Height: 1,85 m
Plays: Right-handed, one-handed backhand.
Playing style suitable for all surfaces. He has a preference for clay courts.
Strengths and weaknesses:
His forehand is one of the most powerful on the circuit. He’s capable of putting any opponent in difficulty.
His game is based on powerful and aggressive rallies from the baseline. He is excellent in lateral moves.
His one-handed backhand is one of the best. It allows him to find incredible areas.
His service is very fast. It exceeds 200 Km/h without any problem. However, he often has difficulty passing his first balls. Depending on the opponent opposite, this strong point can quickly turn into a weak point.
His game is based on violent shots from the baseline. He is a player who hits the ball hard, and that has an impact on his physique. When he’s in good shape, he’s hard to catch. But when he has a small shot less well, it’s not the same player.
He has often shown shortcomings when dealing with large servers. He’s not the best receiver on the circuit.
He doesn’t have a ridiculous volley. However, he rarely hits the net and prefers to control the rallies from the baseline.
- 2011: Beginning of his professional career.
- 2014: First final in an ATP tournament (Kitzbühel, clay). Entry in the Top 50.
- 2015: First ATP 250 title (Nice, clay). He wins 2 more that year (Umag and Gstaad, clay). Entry in the Top 20.
- 2016: First ATP 500 title (Acapulco, hard outdoor). Entry in the Top 10. First Grand Slam semifinal (Roland Garros).
- 2017: First Masters 1000 final (Madrid, clay). Semifinal in Roland Garros. Entry in the Top 5.
- 2018: First Grand Slam final (Roland Garros).
- 2019: First Masters 1000 title (Indian Wells, hard). Victory at the ATP 500 in Barcelona (clay), Beijing (hard outdoor) and Vienna (hard indoor). Finalist at Roland Garros for the second consecutive year. Finalist at the London Masters.
- 2020: Finalist at the Australian Open. Victory at the US Open. Reaches 3rd place for the first time in his career.