Nationality : Italy
Date and place of birth : 24 May 1987, San Remo (Italy).
Age : 33
Height : 1,78 m
Plays : Right-handed, two-handed backhand.
Style of play suitable for all surfaces, but a significant preference for clay.
Strengths and weaknesses :
His very relaxed forehand finds excellent areas and allows him to hurt his opponents.
He is very comfortable on this surface and has perfect control of the slides.
His excellent ball touch allows him to be comfortable at the net. He also has a good volley.
In defence with a slice, he also uses it to attack. His backhand is very unpredictable and allows him to make many winning shots.
His service is good but not very regular. He still too often commits double faults or foot faults.
His mental state is very brittle. He often gets angry on the tennis courts. This can destabilize his opponents, but above all it can have a negative effect on his game and his concentration. During a match, his frustration can cause him to miss out on important points. He is an expert at racket breaking and nonchalance.
- 2004 : Beginning of his professional career.
- 2007 : Entry in the Top 100.
- 2011 : Quarter-finals at Roland-Garros. Entry in the Top 50.
- 2012 : First ATP finals (Bucharest and St. Petersburg).
- 2013 : First two titles ATP 250 (Stuttgart, clay) and ATP 500 (Hamburg, clay). Semi-final at the Masters 1000 in Monte Carlo. Entry into the Top 20.
- 2014 : Round of 16 at the Australian Open. New ATP 250 title (Vina del Mar, clay).
- 2015 : Doubles victory at the Australian Open. Round of 16 at the US Open. 3 victories over Rafael Nadal (number 5).
- 2017 : First victory over a world number 1 (Andy Murray at the Masters 1000 in Rome, clay).
- 2018 : First trophy on hard (ATP 250 de Los Cabos).
- 2019 : First victory in Masters 1000 (Monte Carlo, clay). Entered the Top 10 for the first time in his career.
- 2020 : 1/8 final at the Australian Open.